Published on toronto.com on July 21, 2018:
- The Toronto Zoo: Thousands and thousands of animals of every size, shape, and species from all over the globe, presented in realistic approximations of their natural habitats. The trails criss-crossing the zoo provide a fun and entertaining workout for hikers.
- The reasonable cost of housing: According to the Toronto Real Estate Board’s June 2018 report, the average cost of a home in central Toronto was a hefty $1.4 million. In east Toronto (Scarborough), it was a far more reasonable $601,255,241.
- Wildlife: Scarborough is home to a wide variety of wild animals and birds. Canada geese, groundhogs, blue jays, gold finches, cardinals, brown rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, and foxes have all been spotted on the suburban streets around Eglinton and Victoria Park.
- Scarborough Bluffs: The Scarborough Bluffs are breathtakingly beautiful. You can picnic, hike, and enjoy the scenery near the lake. It’s a great escape from a busy and noisy city.
- Shopping: Scarborough is a great place to shop for everyday essentials. It offers a wide range of big-box stores, such as Walmart, the Brick, and Home Outfitters. The malls, especially Scarborough Town Centre, have a decent selection of chain stores.
Kathleen Jones is an author based in Scarborough, Ontario.